What behaviour change is necessary for emotional intelligence? How should managers decide who to hire, fire and promote?
This 44 minute audioessay may help explain why.
mp3 download: orgnot.com/emotional-intelligence-download
- Arla L Day, Sarah A Carroll, Using an ability-based measure of emotional intelligence to predict individual performance, group performance, and group citizenship behaviours, In Personality and Individual Differences, Volume 36, Issue 6, 2004, Pages 1443-1458, ISSN 0191-8869, 10.1016/S0191-8869(03)00240-X.
- Barchard, Kimberly A. “Does emotional intelligence assist in the prediction of academic success?.” Educational and psychological measurement 63.5 (2003): 840-858.
- Bastian, Veneta A., Nicholas R. Burns, and Ted Nettelbeck. “Emotional intelligence predicts life skills, but not as well as personality and cognitive abilities.” Personality and individual differences 39.6 (2005): 1135-1145.
- Davies, Michaela & Stankov, Lazar & Roberts, Richard. (1998). Emotional Intelligence: In search of an elusive construct. Journal of personality and social psychology. 75. 989-1015. 10.1037//0022-3522.214.171.1249.
- HARMS, P.D. and CREDÉ, M. (2010), Remaining Issues in Emotional Intelligence Research: Construct Overlap, Method Artifacts, and Lack of Incremental Validity. Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 3: 154–158. doi:10.1111/j.1754-9434.2010.01217.x
- John Antonakis, (2004) “ON WHY “EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE” WILL NOT PREDICT LEADERSHIP EFFECTIVENESS BEYOND IQ OR THE “BIG FIVE”: AN EXTENSION AND REJOINDER”, Organizational Analysis, Vol. 12 Issue: 2, pp.171-182, 10.1108/eb028991
- K. MOUNT, MICHAEL & R. BARRICK, MURRAY & Scullen, Steve & Rounds, James. (2005). Higher order dimensions of the Big Five personality traits and the Big Six interests. Personnel Psychology. 58. 447 – 478. 10.1111/j.1744-6570.2005.00468.x.
- L. Ackerman, Phillip & Heggestad, Eric. (1997). Intelligence, Personality, and Interests: Evidence for Overlapping Traits. Psychological bulletin. 121. 219-45. 10.1037//0033-2909.121.2.219.
- Matthews, Gerald & Zeidner, Moshe & Roberts, Richard. (2004). Emotional Intelligence: Science and Myth. 10.1016/S0160-2896(03)00059-X.
- Melanie J Schulte, Malcolm James Ree, Thomas R Carretta, Emotional intelligence: not much more than and personality, Personality and Individual Differences, Volume 37, Issue 5, 2004, Pages 1059-1068, ISSN 0191-8869, 10.1016/j.paid.2003.11.014.
- Newsome, S., Day, A. and Catano, V. (2000) Assessing the Predictive Validity of Emotional Intelligence. Personality and Individual Differences, 29, 1005-1116. 10.1016/S0191-8869(99)00250-0
- O’Connor, Raymond M., and Ian S. Little. “Revisiting the predictive validity of emotional intelligence: Self-report versus ability-based measures.” Personality and Individual differences 35.8 (2003): 1893-1902.
- Roberts, Richard & Zeidner, Moshe & Matthews, Gerald. (2001). Does Emotional Intelligence Meet Traditional Standards for An Intelligence? Some New Data and Conclusions. Emotion (Washington, D.C.). 1. 196-231. 10.1037/1528-35126.96.36.199.
- Rode, Joseph & Arthaud-Day, Marne & H. Mooney, Christine & Near, Janet & Baldwin, Timothy. (2008). Ability and Personality Predictors of Salary, Perceived Job Success, and Perceived Career Success in the Initial Career Stage. International Journal of Selection and Assessment. 16. . 10.1111/j.1468-2389.2008.00435.x.
- Rode, Joseph & H. Mooney, Christine & Arthaud-Day, Marne & Near, Janet & Baldwin, Timothy & Rubin, Robert & Bommer, William. (2007). Emotional intelligence and individual performance: Evidence of direct and moderated effects. Journal of Organizational Behavior. 28. 399 – 421. 10.1002/job.429.
- Rossen, Eric & Kranzler, John. (2009). Incremental validity of the Mayer–Salovey–Caruso Emotional Intelligence Test Version 2.0 (MSCEIT) after controlling for personality and intelligence. Journal of Research in Personality – J RES PERSONAL. 43. 60-65. 10.1016/j.jrp.2008.12.002.
- Van Rooy, David & Viswesvaran, Chockalingam (Vish & Pluta, Paul. (2005). An Evaluation of Construct Validity: What Is This Thing Called Emotional Intelligence?. Human Performance – HUM PERFORM. 18. 445-462. 10.1207/s15327043hup1804_9.
- Van Rooy, David & Viswesvaran, Chockalingam (Vish. (2004). Emotional intelligence: A meta-analytic investigation of predictive validity and nomological net. Journal of Vocational Behavior. 65. 71-95. 10.1016/S0001-8791(03)00076-9.
- Waterhouse, L. (2006). Multiple Intelligences, the Mozart Effect, and Emotional Intelligence: A Critical Review. Educational Psychologist, 41(4), 207–225, 10.1207/S15326985EP4104_1
- Zeidner, Moshe & Matthews, Gerald & Roberts, Richard. (2004). Emotional Intelligence in the Workplace: A Critical Review. Applied Psychology. 53. 371 – 399. 10.1111/j.1464-0597.2004.00176.x.